1945 Ferndale Street, Vancouver, BCMLS®#: V859893
- Property Value$858,000
- Property Address1945 Ferndale Street, Vancouver, BC, V5L 1X9, Canada
- StyleCharacter Home
- BasementFully Finished
- Year Built1908
- Living Area1,316 sq.ft.
- Lot Frontage35.25 ft
- Lot Depth61.90 ft
- Bathrooms2 full
- School DistrictVancouver
1945 Ferndale Street, Vancouver, BC, V5L 1X9, Canada
Stunning Edwardian Character Home Restoration of historic 1945 Ferndale Street - A rare Priviledge to Showcase!
Ferndale Street is an exceptionally wide (the streetcar line once ran down it’s centre), tree-lined and
traffic calmed street of mostly heritage homes in the Commercial drive neighbourhood.
The three bedroom, Entertainer's Dream Home 1945 Ferndale was built in 1908 and lovingly rehabilitated a century later in time to be featured on the 2009 Vancouver Heritage Tour.
The two and a half story house was stripped to the studs for the restoration, and new electrical service, wiring, plumbing, heating and ventilation systems were installed. The slab and foundation were also replaced and the ground floor was upgraded to California Seismic Code specifications. The
renovation was professionally designed and all reconstruction was performed under City of Vancouver Building and Development Permits.
This home combines gracious heritage features with bright and open modern interiors, superb workmanship and amazing attention to detail. Original hardware, flooring, doors, windows, millwork and mouldings have been restored where practical and custom replicated where necessary. Recessed low voltage halogen lighting was installed throughout. Plumbing fixtures are top of the line "Porcher" or "La Torre".
Functionally, the house is very modern. The furnace is high efficiency AFUE Certified (93%) and the heating system is equipped with a Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner and new ductwork. The hot water tank has a 270-litre capacity. The entire house is wired for multi-line telephone and cable, and
the wireless security system has a cellular backup. The showcase feature of the restoration is the stunning open plan middle floor built around a spectacular commercial style kitchen featuring a Viking Professional range equipped with a grill and huge oven. The custom manufactured, stainless steel hood is equipped with a 1,200 CFM, dualducted extraction system.
The house is set to the side of a shallow but wider than usual lot, and is surrounded on three sides with gorgeous, professionally designed, low maintenance garden areas featuring a large number of rare Japanese specimen plants, a serene and secluded patio, elegantly designed arbors, gates, retaining walls and a stream bed in a woodland setting.
GENERAL RESTORATION DETAILS:
• House raised and lowered onto newly-built foundation walls and perimeter-insulated slab(foundation, foundation-wall connections and plywood-clad 2X6 ground floor walls engineer designed to meet California Seismic Code specs – more stringent than current local building code).
• New perimeter drainage installed
• New 120-amp electrical service and wiring installed
• New plumbing installed (from city water supply at property line to city sanitary sewer connection)
• Hi-efficiency (93%) AFUE certified gas furnace with a Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner and new
• Large capacity (270 litre) hot water tank installed
• New telephone and cable wiring throughout
• Professional landscaping with retaining walls, pavers, patios, custom fences, gates and arbors
• All interior walls re-plastered and/or newly dry-walled
• All reconstruction performed under City of Vancouver Building and Development Permits
• All exterior elements of original Edwardian style restored and/or replicated
• 100-year old paneled and glazed doors restored
• Four original double hung windows restored; nine new custom-built wood sash windows installed
for abundant natural light
• Beautiful decorative wrought iron window grills on all accessible door and window glazed openings
• All exterior and interior mouldings restored or replaced with custom mouldings fabricated using
original cutting tools
• Original stairs and floors refinished or replaced where necessary with reclaimed 100-year old fir
• The interior combines heritage and modern design elements for an open, light-filled contemporary
• Contemporary lighting design with more than 40 recessed, low voltage, halogen fixtures, many on
three-way switches and dimmers for convenience and nuanced, multi-layered lighting effects
KITCHEN: Master Chef's Paradise!
• Viking Professional 36” range with gas grill and huge gas convection oven
• Four blower, double-vented, 1,200 CFM, custom built stainless steel vent hood
• Top of the line stainless steel appliances, La Torre faucets and filtered water supply
• Custom edge grain fir cabinets: extra-deep upper cabinets for oversized plates, lower cabinets
equipped with full extension pullouts, concealed mini-track, under cabinet lighting
• En-suite features mountain views (when the leaves fall), two vanities, Porcher faucets and bath
accessories, a window bench, European under-counter washer and dryer, built in laundry hampers,
massive amounts of storage including a large linen closet plus a soaker tub with fixed and hand
shower heads and a large opening skylight above
• Second bath features an inlaid porcelain ceramic floor, soaker tub/shower combination with lighting,
Porcher faucets, Ginger bath accessories – and a urinal
• The tranquil master suite with generous fitted closets and ample storage occupies the entire third
• There are two additional light-filled bedrooms on the ground floor (currently used as offices), the
largest of which opens onto the back garden
LIVING AND DINING ROOMS:
• The spacious and gracious open plan kitchen, dining and living rooms are designed for entertaining
and are the focus of the home
GARDENS: Requested for the Vancouver Garden Tour!
• Three distinct garden areas extend the house: in the front, masonry walls, clipped boxwood and
graceful curved paths of tumbled roman pavers, a cool woodland with stream bed (pre-wired for a
moving water feature) runs along the east side and in the back, a formal layout with flower-draped
arbors surrounding a patio finished in roman pavers
• More practically, there are hose bibs and power outlets back and front, trash and recycling storage
concealed under the restored heritage front porch plus ample dry and secure storage under the
lattice-screened rear deck () which is also accessible via a dedicated pet door.
To see the full Vancouver Heritage House Foundation's "Heritage House Tour 2007" Guidebook Brochure, cut and paste this link into your browser's search window: http://www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org/projects/documents/guidebook_april15reduce.pdf
Walking distance to or very close to The "Clutch" Cultural Centre, Vancouver East Cultural Centre, Sir William MacDonald Elementary School two blocks away, Templeton Highschool and Templeton Pool & Park few blocks away, Woodland Park, Recently Re-landscaped Victoria Park few blocks away, Commercial Drive shopping, main bus routes all a short walk away.
See www.thedrive.ca or type in "1945 ferndale street Vancouver BC" on www.walkscore.com for a list of "walkable" amenities in the neighbourhood.
Listing Provided By
RE/MAX Crest (West Side) LTD.
Copyright and Disclaimer
The data relating to real estate on this web site comes in part from the MLS Reciprocity program of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLSR logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. Copyright 2019 by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley Real Estate Board, Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board, BC Northern Real Estate Board, and Kootenay Real Estate Board. All Rights Reserved.
- Michael J. Dowling
- Phone: 604.684.6155
- Mobile: 604.787.5568
- Toll-free: 1.800.668.3369
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RE/MAX Crest Realty Ltd.
- 2-1012 Beach Avenue
- Vancouver, BC
- V6E 1T7